All LAF services are free, and can be accessed in two ways: remotely (online or by phone) or in person (at a clinic or help desk).
Get Help Now by calling 312-341-1070 or Apply Online through Illinois Legal Aid Online. We do not accept requests for assistance by email or by signing up for our email list. This link will redirect you to Illinois Legal Aid Online's website, where LAF's online client intake system is hosted.
For Ombudsman for seniors in nursing homes and assisted living facilities in suburban Cook County and Lake County, Illinois, call 888.401.8200 toll-free.
Get help in the community at one of our Help Desks or Legal Clinics. LAF partners with volunteer attorneys and community organizations to offer free community-based legal clinics and help desks inside the federal and municipal courthouses, including:
- Katten Legal Clinic: A monthly walk-in clinic in Wicker/Humboldt Park where you can speak with an attorney in your community about any civil legal issue.
- Woodlawn Legal Clinic: A monthly walk-in clinic at the AKArama Community Service Center where you can speak with an attorney in your community about any civil legal issue.
- McCutcheon Legal Clinic: A monthly walk-in clinic in Uptown where you can speak with an attorney in your community about any civil legal issue.
- Veterans Legal Clinic: A monthly clinic for low-income veterans, current service members, and military families to get assistance on any civil legal issue.
- Provident HIV Legal Clinic: A legal clinic providing confidential consultations and advice on any civil legal issue for people impacted by HIV.
- Eviction Defense Help Desks: Two walk-in help desks providing legal assistance with landlord/tenant issues, eviction defense, and document preparation.
- Rolling Meadows Courthouse DV Help Desk: A walk-in help desk providing consultation, advice, and document preparation for Orders of Protection and civil domestic violence cases.
- Juvenile Expungement Help Desk: A walk-in help desk providing assistance with removing criminal charges from your juvenile record, including advice and filing paperwork.
- Bankruptcy Help Desk: A walk-in help desk providing brief consultations and help filling out paperwork for people in debt who do not have an attorney.
- Federal Court Help Desk - William J Hibbler Memorial Pro Se Assistance Program: An appointment only help desk providing advice and assistance to people without an attorney who want to file or have already filed a civil law suit in federal court.
If you are want more information about the legal services LAF offers, visit our Client Services page. If you are a community organization looking to partner with LAF, visit our Community Engagement Unit page.